Subtitle

Keeping my eyes open to glimpses of God



Monday, June 6, 2011

New Patterns

I love summer! I've started this new pattern in the mornings, unless it's raining, of course. After feeding our puppy, I let him into our backyard, take my prayer devotional book (Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals), a cup of coffee, and sit down at our patio table. While my puppy occupies himself chasing flies, running around, and even chasing his own tail, I get in some sweet, undisturbed moments of prayer and reflection.

The beauty of this new practice lies in the fact that it fits seamlessly into my existing schedule, and the fact that it allows me to enjoy God's presence while in his creation. Spending time regularly in his presence at the beginning of my day has done so much for my life already. The consistency of the schedule gives me something to look forward to as well prevents me from forgetting. Addtionally, this is shaping up to be a month of some pretty major transitions, and spending this time with him is helping me make sense of it all and sort it out. It has also brought a peace during this time despite the uncertainty and waiting.

During my morning reading time, I recently came across a great verse that has encouraged me to keep on in this new pattern: "For the Kingdom of God is not just a lot of talk; it is living by God's power." - 1 Corinthians 4:20 I know that I am not perfect, and I will forget to spend time with God, but the more time I spend with him, the more I will be able to live by his power and not just be a lot of talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment